2014/01/27

Winter Blues: Black Friday and Beyond

Some brave souls face the fourth season with the heart of lions, while most backpackers are three season types. So what do three season backpackers do during winter?
Shop!

Thanks to Black Friday and Christmas-time sales, I managed to swap out a few pieces of gear for even more weight savings.

First and foremost, I present the Six Moon Designs Skyscape X:

This glorified potato chip bag is my new pride and joy. I've been eager to use it, though it wasn't the cheapest purchase. All 431 grams of glory will be reviewed once I take it on a trip.

My next purchase was another of the big three- the Marmot Plasma 15:

It had been on my wish list for some time, and Campsaver.com had a deal too good to pass up. I weighed it in at 864 grams, for a full 6' 900-fill down mummy sleeping bag.


To add to my list of items, I went on a spending spree with zpacks.com – I bought tons of little things, from their liteload towel, to buckles, guylines, and straps. I even bought their beanie!


I had been searching for a lighter rain jacket, until once again Campsaver had the rain jacket I wanted for sale- The Montane Minimus Smock.
150 grams for a durable rain shell? It wasn't a hard sell. Be warned though- I did have to return it for a size bigger, as it does run quite small.


Unfortunately, until I get to venture off on another trip, there won't be much to write about. Rest assured, I will have detailed gear reviews for all of these products once I've used them personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment