2013/11/19

Gear Review: Items Worn - Essentials

Through smoldering heat or frigid winds, the items you wear vary based on your comfort level. There is a line, however, that backpacker’s cross- a line of basics they will always carry.

This article is about that line.


After each trip, it becomes a routine- check your gear, clean it up, put it away. The clothes get washed more than once, and even then they somehow are a shade browner than what you started. You evaluate what gear was needed, and what gear you probably won’t take again.

Then, there are the essentials. The items you wore throughout the entire trip that some part of your mind considers as every-day-carry (EDC) items. Now, this isn’t the most plausible, as carrying a compass and signal mirror through the city would seem ridiculous. While backpacking, though, it is essential.
Personally, I separate the items I carry from the items in my backpack into different categories. It is all weight I carry, but at any time I’ll drop my pack and bushwhack, while certain items I’ll take with me- items I won’t go anywhere without.

The line varies for everyone, but here is my list:

Clothing Worn


Base Layer
T-shirt
153
5.40
0.34


Trekking Pants
Mountain Hardwear Mesa Convertible Pants
410
14.46
0.90


Long Johns
Patagonia Capilene 3 Boot Cut
153
5.40
0.34


Insulating Shirt
long sleeve shirt
119
4.20
0.26


Socks
1 pair is 132g per
132
4.66
0.29


Shoes
Merrell Mix Master 2
572
20.18
1.26


Bandana
Silk wild rag
27
0.95
0.06


Clothing Total Weight
1566
55.24
3.45


Items Worn


Bug Headnet
Bug Net 20g
20
0.71
0.04


Sunglasses
Sunglasses
35
1.23
0.08


Knife
SOG Seal 361g (400g w/sheath)
400
14.11
0.88


Map
Trail map
26
0.92
0.06


Compass
Silva Starter Compass 24g
24
0.85
0.05


Mirror
Signal Mirror 23g
23
0.81
0.05


Fire
Bic 17g full
17
0.60
0.04


Phone
Heavy sucker
212
7.48
0.47


Survival Items Total Weight
757
26.70
1.67


CLOTHING:
Top Row: Synthetic T-shirt and Long Sleeve Shirt
Bottom Row: Long Johns and Convertible Pants
Obviously these are essential, but I tend to wear more layers at any given moment. I live in central California, and am used to heat. I have no issues hiking in layers. I do, however, hate being cold. (Note- this list does not include the extra clothing I carry in my pack. This is strictly the clothing I wear at any given moment)

My base layer is a simple synthetic t-shirt. Wicks away the sweat, and is moderately light. I have considered a merino wool shirt, but haven’t pulled the trigger on the steep price tag. I nabbed this shirt from Costco, and have been pretty happy with it. Unfortunately, it isn't an athletic fit, so it's pretty baggy. I went ahead and tailored mine so it fits better (plus it cut out a few grams). My pants are Mountain Hardwear's Convertible Mesa pants, which I highly recommend. When it warms up, I unzip the knees halfway for ventilation. When it’s cold, I don’t have to try and put on pants- I just zip up the knees. I bring a pair of Patagonia Capilene long johns, but boot cut length. My Fox River Mills socks are knee-highs, so between the two I don’t need the extra length of the long johns. I wear two pairs of socks at any given time- one pair of silk liners, and one pair of heavy duty wool socks. Between the two sets, I manage to do long trips without a single blister. This method isn’t for everyone, but I hate cold feet and am willing to haul around heavy socks to prevent that.

Merrell Mix Master 2 Trail Shoes
I have a synthetic wick-away heatgear long sleeve shirt I got from Costco that I wear even during warmer hikes. The sleeves keep the bugs from eating me alive, while the material still keeps me dry.

My shoes are lightweight trail shoes. Merrell has great products, and I absolutely love the Mix Master 2’s. Their upside is their downside, however. The mesh exterior provides great ventilation, letting your feet breathe. Unfortunately, this also means when it is chilly, the cold will seep in faster than a brick can sink. This also allows dust to collect inside, leaving your socks a dirty (literally) mess at the end of the day.

Top Row: Wool Socks, Silk Liners, Sunglasses, ID card,
Compass, Signal Mirror, Lighter
Bottom Row: Bandana, Knife, Bug Net
ITEMS:
Bandanas I feel are a must. They keep the bugs and sun off your neck, you can wipe the sweat away from your forehead, can be used as a strainer to prefilter water, makes a great head-cover for sunny days, etc. The list goes on. Bandanas are extremely useful, especially the silk ones. Silk keeps you warm when it’s cold and keeps you cool when it’s warm. How? Magic.

Sunglasses are self-explanatory. Not everyone wears them, but that’s a matter of choice.

Bug nets are mostly a spring-time item, but I treat them like many treat guns – better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.  For less than an ounce, I can save myself the misery from the locusts of Egypt.

Lighter/Signal Mirror/Map/Compass- I’ve had many quick bushwhack moments turn into a long expedition. Each time, I thought to myself, “What if…”
Why wonder? Now I just carry these essentials with me, and don’t worry about it. When it comes to identification, instead of taking my driver's license and risking losing it, I went to the DMV and bought a identification card.
My SOG Seal Team Knife with Custom Straps.

Knife- Must. Have. Whether it is a tiny pocket knife or a machete, a knife

is a must. Granted, mine is quite large and not exactly an EDC, but I can abuse the thing and not have to worry about it breaking. Some can get away with a tiny folding knife, and that’s fine too. Regardless of size, always carry it WITH you, not just in your pack. I buckle mine to my leg, while smaller knives can simply be kept in a pocket.

Water- Once again, why worry? I have my main water with my pack, but any off-trail hike I’ll take at least 16oz (0.5 litres) with me.

Camera- I use my phone as a camera. Throw it in airplane mode, and the battery will last, surprisingly, a long time. I hate leaving a place and thinking, “If only I had a camera.” Now, I just bring one everywhere.

Every trip is different, but the basics are always the same. Make sure you carry your essentials with you, and not just in your backpack. Take the right clothes (avoiding cotton like the plague), and remember- even short hikes can turn into long excursions. What to take is up to you, as everyone has to draw that line- but there is a line, and you don’t want to be on the wrong side of it when something happens.

Are there any pieces of gear you felt I overlooked? Feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment